• Sowerby Methodist Church
    Sowerby Methodist Church
    Methodism took root in Sowerby with
    the first premises registered for worship
    in 1816.
    Despite some early opposition to
    non-conformism, the church flourished and
    the present building was erected in 1865
    to replace other premises in Back Lane.
    Later a school room was built
    on the back of the Church
    and this was further extended in 1925.
    The Church was renovated
    and rededicated in 1997.
  • Front Street
    Front Street
    At the heart of Sowerby village is
    Front Street, with its avenue of English
    lime trees planted in 1887 to commemorate
    the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
    By that time Front Street had already been
    developed with larger Georgian and
    Victorian houses built by the wealthier
    families moving out of Thirsk's busier and
    more congested town centre.
    The village greens which enhance either
    side of Front Street were bought for the
    community by the Parish Council in 1986
    and were subsequently given statutory
    protection by acquiring the status of
    Registered Common Land.
    Present day management of the village
    greens is subject to the local bye-laws.
  • St Oswald's Parish Church
    St Oswald's Parish Church
    From about 1140 until the middle of the
    19th century St. Oswald's was a Norman
    chapel serving a village.
    The tower was added in the 15th century.
    The chapel was rebuilt and enlarged in 1842
    but as the village grew the Church needed
    to be further enlarged in 1902.
    Of the earlier Norman foundation
    only the south wall of the Nave remains,
    together with the fine South Doorway,
    which has a medieval oak door.
    The Church contains a number of
    extremely beautiful stained glass windows.
  • The Flatts Play Area
    The Flatts Play Area
    Starting from the 1798 enclosures,
    Sowerby Flatts was an area of
    open grazing land.
    It was purchased by the community in 1959
    and today it is a place for recreation
    and outdoor activities, as well as
    continuing to provide some grazing
    for sheep and cattle.
  • Miss Warner's Field, The Flatts
    Miss Warner's Field, The Flatts
    Originally purchased to preserve the view
    across to the Hambleton Hills from
    her house, the field was given by Miss Warner
    to the Flatts Preservation Trust in 1976.
    Since 2002 a scheme for the restoration
    of native plant species has been
    carried out in the area.
  • The Lambert Memorial Hospital
    The Lambert Memorial Hospital
    The hospital was founded in 1890 by
    Mrs. Sarah Lambert of Sowerby, in memory
    of her husband and his father,
    William Lambert, an eminent local doctor.
    Now part of the NHS it is supported
    locally by the League of Friends of
    the Lambert Hospital, a registered charity,
    which raises funds to provide extra
    equipment and facilities.
  • Rural Arts North Yorkshire
    Rural Arts North Yorkshire
    Rural Arts is an independent charity
    based in The Old Courthouse which works
    with children, young people and community
    groups across North Yorkshire to bring
    accessible, creative opportunities
    to all age and abilities.
    The building dates from 1885.
  • World's End Bridge
    World's End Bridge
    The bridge, built in 1672, is Grade II
    listed by English Heritage.
    It is a single span stone bridge
    which formed part of the transport network
    when pack horses were used to convey
    goods around the country carrying heavy
    loads in panniers strapped
    to either side of their body.
  • Pudding Pie Hill
    Pudding Pie Hill
    This Scheduled Ancient Monument
    is a burial site dating back to the period
    between 2400 - 1500 B.C.
    It is an example of a relatively large
    and well preserved burial mound
    of the "bowl barrow" type.
  • Thirsk School and 6th Form College
    Thirsk School and 6th Form College
    Established in 1957 as Thirsk Grammar
    and Modern School, by the North Riding
    County Council, to provide secondary
    education for children from Thirsk, Sowerby
    and the surrounding district.
    It became Thirsk School in 1970 and is
    now organised as an 11-18 mixed,
    comprehensive secondary school.
    From 2004 it was renamed as
    Thirsk School and Sixth Form College.
  • Sowerby Community Primary School
    Sowerby Community Primary School
    This school building was first opened
    in 1919 to house Thirsk Grammar School.
    When the Grammar School moved out in
    1957 the premises were taken over by
    Sowerby Junior School.
    In 1980, following the closure of
    Sowerby Infant School on Front Street
    where it had been since 1872, the Junior
    and Infant Schools were merged on the
    Topcliffe Road site to form
    Sowerby County Primary School.
    Later the school was renamed
    Sowerby Community Primary School.